Welcome

This is where you will find news about the Hobart Ward Relief Society.
Please enjoy your visit.
Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Snippet

Announcements:

  • General Priesthood Meeting 7pm 22nd Nov @ Stake Center
  • Ward RS Thanksgiving dinner this Wed @ Chapel 7-8.30pm
  • Teaching Symposium @ Stake Center 28th Nov 10.45am
  • Christmas Hampers to be in by the end of the month
  • Ward Christmas activity 12th Dec
Today's lesson was led by sister Angela Stewart and was based on this talk given by Elder Oaks. Please try to make time to read this talk. I think it is a very timely reminder to us all that we should be anxiously engaged in acts of service. It's not a difficult thing to find a need and fill it. We hear it all the time; "lose yourself in service and it is there that you will find yourself". I believe that this is because when we are selflessly serving others we are taking on Christ-like attributes. We are most like our Saviour when we willingly serve and most unlike Him when we choose not to. We 'find' ourselves because we discover who it is our Father in Heaven wants us to become.
It is my sincerest hope that each of us can appreciate the need for service in all it's many forms, that we can serve each other, side by side, and help each other to reach our divine potential.

I particularly like the end of President Oaks talk:

Each of us should apply that principle [of unselfish service] to our attitudes in attending church. Some say “I didn’t learn anything today” or “No one was friendly to me” or “I was offended” or “The Church is not filling my needs.” All those answers are self-centered, and all retard spiritual growth.

In contrast, a wise friend wrote:

“Years ago, I changed my attitude about going to church. No longer do I go to church for my sake, but to think of others. I make a point of saying hello to people who sit alone, to welcome visitors, … to volunteer for an assignment. …

“In short, I go to church each week with the intent of being active, not passive, and making a positive difference in people’s lives. Consequently, my attendance at Church meetings is so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.”


All of this illustrates the eternal principle that we are happier and more fulfilled when we act and serve for what we give, not for what we get.



Something to think about I reckon...


See you on Wednesday

Blanche x

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I missed church yesterday, Nina was sick, but I had read the lesson and that last comment that you mentioned was what I loved about the talk.

I get stuck in that rut too, thinking what can I or what did I get out of church today... so that comment was a timely reminder for me.


I had the opportunity this week to do my visiting teaching, I have a new sister to visit and a new companion. I was able to offer some help to our new sister, of a very practical nature.

I was thankful for that opportunity, it was a reminder that taking the time to help others is an important part of the gospel and important for my personal growth.


Thanks for your post Blanche.